Winter is finally here and you may crave for some hearty meal with some richer ingredients! If that's the case, here is a perfect recipe that even most picky little eaters will enjoy!
- 1/2 green cabbage, about 1 lb, chopped in approx. 1 x 1 inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut in small cubes
- 1/2 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 lb of baking potatoes, such as russets, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup milk (rice milk is great too!)
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 eggs
- 2 pinches of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspon of salt
- 8 oz parmesan, grated ( 2 cup, tightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously and add the potato slices. Reduce heat to medium-high and boil gently for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside
2. in a skillet, poor 1 table spoon of olive oil, the chopped cabbage, carrots and celery. Bake for about 10 minutes, till the carrots, cabbage and celery soften.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart baking dish or gratin. Cut one of the garlic cloves in half and rub the dish with the cut surface. Then slice up all the garlic and toss with the cabbage, carrots and celery mix.
4. Poor the vegetable mixture in the dish and cover it with a layer of the grated cheese (about 3 oz).
5. Cover the mixture with all the sliced potatoes and the chopped parsley.
6. In a bowl, whisk together milk, crème fraîche, the eggs, the salt and the pepper. Pour into the dish, on top of the parsley
7. Finally cover the dish with one last layer of the leftover cheese.
8. Bake about 40 minutes, until top is golden brown.
Bon appétit !
Sonia - Organic Essentials