Did you know that the fashion industry is considered by the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), to be the second most polluting industry in the world? According to new research, the industry has grown 21% over the past three years. The 'fast fashion' growth is the result of the consumers desire for instant and affordable fashion. A study found that fast fashions are constructed so that they typically last no more than 10 wearings!
In 2019, on average, each American produced about 75 pounds of textile waste per year.
Here are some tips that will help you to reduce clothing waste:
- Repair clothes when still possible, instead of buying new ones.
- Swap clothes with friends and family, it is a fun and cheap way of getting a new wardrobe and at the same time getting rid of clothes you never wear.
- Explore the charity shops and thrift stores in your local area (check those stores around Santa Barbara: Alpha Thrift Store, Goodwill , The Art Of Consignment, United Family Association Thrift Shoppe, Catholic Charities, Destined for Grace Thrift Store Goleta).
- When buying new clothes, stick to garments of high quality and avoid clothes that contain plastic materials.
- Make your clothes last longer by washing in lower temperatures and repair when possible.
- Donate unwanted clothes to a charity shop or sell them. There are many trading sites where it is possible to resell used clothes.
- If something is beyond repair, or not suitable to be passed on to someone else, put it in a bag and recycle the bag when it is full. The clothes will then be made into new items, such as padding for chairs, cleaning clothes or industrial blankets. There are several textile banks within the UK where old clothes and other textiles can be dropped off. You usually find these in the supermarkets and local car parks. Visit Recycle Now’s website to find out the location of your nearest textile bank. You can also hand in old clothes and textiles to several stores that will recycle it, such as H&M and & other stores.
Enjoy your next mind-fuller shopping experience! :)